UTHSCSA Faculty Profiles v1.0

Hilsabeck, Robin C. PhD

School of Medicine
(210) 617-5121

The primary focus of my research is cognitive functioning in chronic liver disease, particularly chronic hepatitis C (CHC) infection. My preliminary work led to an interest in understanding the relationship between cognitive dysfunction and immunological variables, especially cytokines, and I have a career development award from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke to study the role of cytokines in cognitive functioning in CHC. Gaining insights into how chronic immune system activation affects cognitive functioning can aid in providing etiological theories of cognitive dysfunction in CHC, as well as in other conditions in which the immune system is implicated, which then may lead to targeted interventions. I spend 75% of my time in research and career development endeavors. The remaining 25% of my time is spent at the VA, where I direct a 2-year postdoctoral residency in clinical neuropsychology, which I developed and continue to refine. Direction of this fellowship involves intensive one-on-one supervision of the clinical work of two fellows to ensure they are prepared for independent practice, as well as board certification in clinical neuropsychology, which is the highest standard of practice in our field. In addition, I occasionally supervise postdoctoral fellows in neuropsychology and liver disease at the University of California, San Diego, where I am Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry.

1/2005 - Present Director Neuropsychology Postdoctoral Residency Program, South Texas Veterans Health Care System, San Antonio, TX